Sunday, March 16, 2008

Complaint Free Update

Well, it has been 11 days since I started wearing my complaint free bracelet. I must admit I am finding this to be quite a challenge. Eleven days in and I have yet to go a full day without having to switch my bracelet. Now a full 24 hours without one complaint, criticism or bit of gossip may not sound that hard, but for me - apparently - it is.


I have just finished reading Will Bowen's book outlining the challenge. The goal is to go 21 consecutive days without complaining. I am glad I read the book because it clarified the rules for me. I was switching my bracelet even if a complaining thought entered my mind. Bowen suggests focusing only on spoken infractions. His theory is that once you have broken the habit of vocalizing complaints, your thoughts will follow.


Now I have clarified the objectives in my mind I am determined to overcome the first hurdle - a full complaint free day. That is my goal for tomorrow.


Bowen also suggests that once you start thinking and speaking in more positive ways you will attract more positive experiences and people into your life. It follows the principle that like attracts like. I must admit that I have been noticing that my interactions seem to have become more cheerful and friendly. In the past week alone I have run into a very helpful security guard in a parking lot, a very friendly road maintenance man and a caring and compassionate mail carrier. Perhaps these encounters would have happened regardless and it is just that I am more aware of the positive encounters, but either way it is very encouraging.


No comments: