For one month we tried to rid ourselves of all complaints, criticism and gossip. The bracelet served as a reminder and every time we caught ourselves doing any one of those things we would switch the bracelet to the other wrist. The idea is that by interrupting our old habits we could create new, more positive ones. Under the premise that we get more of what it is that we focus on, it seemed like a worthy endeavour.
This was quite an eye-opening experience for me. I had this rosy view of myself as a laid-back, people-loving, open-minded, accepting woman. Well, my goodness, I was horrified at how many times that bracelet was flying back and forth between my left and right wrists at first. I had no idea how much complaining, criticizing and gossiping I did.
Over the next month I gradually improved and the intervals between infractions grew bigger. By the end of the month I could go days without having to switch my bracelet. It was fantastic! I noticed that the less I harped on my negative thoughts the better I felt. Eventually life moved on, the experiment dwindled out and the bracelet claimed a home in my bathroom drawer.
Recently though, my friend Heather has decided to take on the same challenge. This reminded me of my experience and inspired me to look at my thoughts now, 7 months later. I couldn't believe it! Over the course of a couple of hours I complained about several things, criticized my son and gossiped about a group of people who are doing things that do not fit with my values.
It seems I have slipped back into my old ways. Considering the positive effects in my life from my last experience with this, I have decided to dust off my bracelet and start again.

This time I think I will carry this on until it becomes a natural - permanent - part of my life instead of making it a 30 day experiment. I really believe that this is life-changing stuff so it is worth the effort. I know some of our other friends are joining in on this also, so I think we are going to be the nicest, most positive, feel-good ladies a person could hang out with. By the end of the month we will be emanating such a cloud of joy that people will sense us coming from miles away....

6 comments:
This will be an especially difficult time for me to join you on a complaint free journey but I feel if I do start this now, and get through the next little while, then I can be complaint free forever! More to the point, I'm in :-)
I would agree and say that it is difficult, but that would be a complaint and then I would have to change the bracelet over .... again. Right now I am in real danger of blisters or chaffing from all the bracelet adjusting. It's a great exercise though. Glad to hear you are in. :-)
Isn't it amazing when we truly listen to ourselves and actually hear what we're saying? If I am the sum of my thoughts, then I definitely want my thoughts to be positive and uplifting. I think the complaint free bracelet idea is great. Bravo for doing this.
I guess I need to reinstitute our "say 3 positive things for every one negative thing" whenever I catch myself uttering negativity. Boy, did that make me aware of my thought patterns.
Hmm, if you said "This is so difficult, I can't stand it!" in a whiny voice then I could see that as a complaint.
But if you said "This can be difficult but the process will help me become a more positive person and I know I can do it!" in a strong, confident voice then I wouldn't consider that a complaint at all :-)
Most of the time the latter statement is true, but I'll have to admit to a few whiny moments. :-)
Katherine, I like your idea of replacing the negative thoughts with 3 positives. It then gives me something else to think about other than just not thinking negative thoughts. I am going to try that.
Post a Comment