
I started reading The Other Boleyne Girl a couple of weeks ago after a friend lent it to me. My only knowledge of this part of British history prior to starting the book was vague at best. I knew that Henry the VIIIth had started the Church of England in order to end his marriage. I knew that he had sired many children in and out of wedlock in the hopes of gaining a legitimate son - but that was about all I knew of the time until Elizabeth came to the throne.
One of the great things about my historical ignorance of this period is that the story has been all new and mysterious to me. I didn't have all those cumbersome details already in my brain to dilute the wonder I have felt as the tale unravelled. The tangled web of deception, love, courage and treachery has all but consumed me since I started reading. Most of what happened is quite horrifying when I really think about it but it is quite captivating to read about.
When I have mentioned what I am reading and my lack of prior knowledge to others, several well-meaning folk have offered to fill me in on the history. For the past two weeks I have carefully dodged any further information so that I could carry on in my blissful ignorance. It has been tough - some people have come close to divulging details but I have stealthily avoided them.
Last night at 1:30 am I forced myself to put down the book and get some sleep even though it was at a really great, tense moment. I was tempted to cancel all my plans today and stay home to finish the book, but I used great restraint and carried on as normal.
After a fantastic day with good friends and a delicious dinner at an Indian restaurant Daniel and I started our half hour drive home. Of course, my mind floated back to my book and I was looking forward to getting home to read it. As we drove I thought I could be ever so helpful and give Daniel a little history lesson about Henry the VIIIth. After all, isn't that what any good homeschool mom does during a lengthy car journey? Truth be told it was mostly an excuse to keep my focus on the book while also engaging in some conversation.
So, in my best intellectual grown up tone I began to recount the story of Henry the VIIIth as I now knew it. Daniel listened (somewhat) politely for a minute or two and then he interrupted me. "Yeah, I know mom and then he...."
Daniel then proceeded to give me a full account of the historical details including all the ones I didn't know because they are yet to come in the book. I have been so careful not to let anyone tell me what to expect and in one split second he totally wrecks the story for me. I couldn't believe it! Worse still when I mentioned what he had done, he thought it was hilarious. There he sat laughing for the rest of the drive home... while I fumed.
Now I am slowly finishing the story, but it just isn't the same. I know what is coming and it is unfolding just as Daniel said it would. .... darned homeschooled kid - Where does he learn this stuff?
:-)

5 comments:
Oh no!!! That's no good! Keep reading though, maybe you will find more surprises :-)
Ho ho, that Daniel's a smart one!
That was my beach book in Mexico! I knew the history pretty well but I still loved reading it from a woman's perspective. Have you read the Constant Princess also by Phillipa? It is told from the perspective of Catherine of Aragon. That was the first one I read. I loved it!
I have been enjoying her book so much that I thought I try another of hers. I'll order the Constant Princess next. Thanks.
Whoops! You had worked so hard at not having anyone spoil it for you and you thought you were safe...
best not let your bright boy know what you're reading next time. ;o)
Post a Comment