Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pickles and a Letter from the Prime Minister...

No self-respecting gardener would pick the first 11 pickling cukes from their garden and go to all the trouble of pickling such a small amount - would they? Well, apparently I am not a self-respecting gardener. Daniel and I were so excited when we saw that some of the cucumbers were ready, that we harvested and pickled them right away. I have justified this for myself, by saying that I am testing the recipe. In a few weeks I'll be able to try them and decide if it's a good recipe to use for the rest. That is my story and I am sticking with it!

I have been given the advice that I should get someone with experience to show me how to pickle, because even recipes from books often lead to mushy pickles. I am not nearly patient enough to heed that advice so I guess I'll be learning from trial and error. By the way I was given the same advice about making bread and you can see from my last post how swimmingly well that is turning out.


I received this official letter in the mail today. It is from the Prime Minister of Canada - in his own personal hand-writing. If you can't read it from the photo, it says that I must force Daniel to play Runescape (his favourite computer game) because it will prepare him for a secret mission. I have very strong beliefs that Daniel needs to limit his computer time, but when the Prime Minster takes time out 0f his very important day to personally write to me with this request - what can I do? After all, goodness knows I have such a huge respect for the current Prime Minister. I just love his environmental policies.


3 comments:

Nicola said...

Oh, what lovely handwriting the Prime Minister has! And I had no idea he knew Daniel personally. Perhaps he can introduce us!!

sheila said...

Ha! I'd like to know why his salary goes up every year, too, if he's so inclined (probably wants to join the paying section of Runescape). And tell him that I admire how sporty his wife is.

Ms. M said...

Hey - I make pickles as I pick them too! Well, I try to wait until I have 3 jars' worth - and I use the really old pickling recipes (ala Fanny Farmer) and they turn out GREAT! I'm not convinced that the "new ways" are the best ways. tee hee hee